Paytronix Report: Restaurants and C-Stores Enter a ‘New Normal’ of Digital Ordering
- 33%: Orders that now come in through digital channels
- 55%: Digital orders that were for takeout as opposed to delivery or curbside
- 8%: Average tip paid by a delivery customer, vs 5% for takeout
Newton, Mass., and Las Vegas, NV – Food on Demand Conference – May 5, 2022 – Paytronix Systems, Inc., the most advanced digital guest experience platform, today published the Paytronix Order & Delivery Report 2022: Navigating the Digital New Normal, which finds that digital orders have risen to one-third of total restaurant and convenience store food orders, up from just 12% pre-pandemic. While in-store sales remain down by nearly half, digital orders have remained elevated at 113% of pre-pandemic levels.
Guests have shown their desire to order digitally. The Paytronix Order & Delivery Report 2022 delivers key trends in digital ordering that restaurants and c-stores can use today to make informed decisions about their off-premises strategy, tech stack, and customer journeys.
Download the full report, Paytronix Order & Delivery Report 2022: Navigating the Digital New Normal
“Our ‘New Normal’ means the digital guest experience is no longer secondary to the physical experience, it’s front and center and marks one of the biggest changes I’ve seen in 20 years working with brands,” said Andrew Robbins, CEO of Paytronix. “The opportunity for brands to use artificial intelligence to make experiences more personalized is huge. Learning directly from guests, presenting them with recommendations that resonate and instantly responding to their feedback with a personalized message from the store manager, is elevating brands that rely on their ability to connect with their guests.”
Report findings include:
- Rise in Takeout Orders – While delivery was king before and during the height of the pandemic, more recent data indicates that takeout orders now dominate digital orders, with numbers even higher than they were pre-pandemic. Takeout jumped from approximately 35% of orders in January 2020 to a majority in March of 2022, a trend that appears to be increasing.
- Third-Party Delivery Is Here to Stay – Third-party services will continue to play an important role in a customer acquisition strategy. To achieve success in today’s New Normal, restaurants and c-stores need to embrace new technology and third-party options and explore how to successfully integrate them into existing operations.
- Delivery Customers are Different – For much of 2021, the average delivery tip was 12.5% of the subtotal, more than double takeout order tips. And 2021 takeout orders included a tip just 37% of the time compared to nearly 73% of delivery orders. Delivery customers are also more loyal, with 31% of orders coming from repeat customers.
- Customer Feedback – Saving a guest relationship pays off. Paytronix data shows that issuing a coupon costs a restaurant $2.30 on average, but results in a $9.20 lift in that customer's lifetime value. That 4x ROI means a timely guest recovery strategy is a must-have.
- AI Is Key to Gauging Customer Sentiment – Fifteen percent of reviews with a rating of 4.5 or better actually have a negative sentiment and could benefit from action, while 3-star reviews most frequently contain negative sentiment.
Paytronix Systems, Inc.
Based in Newton, Massachusetts, Paytronix is a provider of SaaS customer experience management (CXM) solutions for restaurants and convenience stores. Through its innovative software design and integrations with more than 30 widely used point-of-sale systems, Paytronix empowers more than 1,800 brands across 34,000 locations, giving them the flexibility to deliver unique, revenue-enhancing guest experiences. Through one-to-one engagement with more than 225 million guests via Order & Delivery, Loyalty, CRM, and Stored Value, Paytronix delivers artificial intelligence features that motivate increased visits and spending throughout the customer journey. For more information, visit www.paytronix.com.
# # #
Paytronix Systems, Inc.