Recent events have brought systemic racism into clear focus. As a step forward, we are following the lead of many great companies, like Nike, Twitter, Target, Ben & Jerry’s, and a growing list of others by adding a company holiday dedicated to Black equality, beginning with this Friday, June 19th (Juneteenth).
Here at Paytronix, we employ bright, curious, and empathetic people, many of whom are engaged directly in the fight against racism. Members of our team have been involved in the Black Lives Matter movement, including taking part in marches and protests. Our hope is that we can use this Juneteenth holiday time to read, reflect, and help as we look to change our society for the better.
We have shared books, documentaries, and podcasts, with one another over the course of the last two weeks and thought you might enjoy them as well. Here are links to a few items that may inspire all of us to be part of the solution.
Suggested books, documentaries, and podcasts:
- Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates
- Chasing the Scream by Johann Hari
- Just Mercy: A Story of Justice and Redemption by Bryan Stevenson
- Doing Justice: A Prosecutor’s Thoughts on Crime, Punishment, and the Rule of Law by Preet Bharara
- Documentary “13th”
- How to Be an Antiracist by Ibram X. Kendi